Monday, December 14, 2009

A Story....


I was reading a blog recently where the author was telling the story of how her little girl accidentally locked herself out of the house on a Saturday morning when her parents were still in bed sleeping. The author was explaining how scary it was to be in bed and have the little girl call from the neighbors house waking her Mom up and telling her what had happened. This incident reminded me of a similar situation with Mighty Mouth. It happened about 6 months ago when Mighty Mouth was nine. When you think of nine you think of a pretty grown up kid, especially when she has two older sisters that she is trying to keep up with. I have always said that your youngest grows up the fastest. I have never left MM home alone without one of her sisters being here. I haven't because she is not ready. (not to mention the fact that child services would probably be knocking on my door)but I think if I did she would do just fine. Don't get me wrong I don't feel she is ready to be home alone for any length of time but for a 20 minute trip to the store, or to pick up Miss Priss from school I think she would be just fine. However, she has made it VERY CLEAR that SHE is not ready. This particular afternoon MM was going to spend time at her Nanny's house but my Mom and I got our wires crossed. She thought she was picking MM up and I thought I was dropping her off. So I dropped MM off in front of my Mom's house, waited for her to walk to the front door and drove away. Did you catch that? Waited for her to walk to the front door but did not wait for her to go inside. THAT was my BIG mistake. So on I drove towards home, suddenly my cell phone rang and it was my Mom. She said to me "where are you?" I said "I am on my way home why?" "Because, I am in front of your house to pick up MM and you are not here" Yes, this is where my heart fell into my stomach and panic hit me like a ton of bricks. Luckily for me (although my husband would beg to differ, just kidding Mom) we only live one short mile from my Mom. "Oh no" I said to my Mom "I just dropped her off at your house and now no one is there." I immediately hung up and turned the van around as fast as possible. I flew back towards my Mother's house, as I rounded the corner I saw my girl. She broke my heart. Her eyes were filled with panic, and she was on the verge of tears. Her face was bright red as she was trying so hard not to cry. Then as soon as she saw the van her relief was so strong that she couldn't hold it in anymore and she burst into tears. I jumped out of the van and wrapped her up in a big hug and told her how very, very sorry I was. Her relief turned to 9 year old anger as she yelled at me through her tears telling me "I was suppose to wait until she was inside before I drove away, and where was Nanny anyway?" I told her "she was absolutely right and it would NEVER happen again." Later that day I used the situation as a teaching opportunity and we talked about what she would do if that were to ever happen again. I laugh and think she will probably be 20 years old before I ever drop her off somewhere again without waiting for her to go in safe and sound. Oh who am I kidding I will ALWAYS wait for her because in my mind I will hear that little voice saying "Mom, you were suppose to wait until I was was inside....."

No comments: