Monday, January 27, 2014

My Dear Friend Paula...

I have a wonderful friend her name is Paula.  I met Paula for the first time many years ago when Sydnee and her son Cory played on the same coed soccer team.  I think Sydnee was probably 7 or 8 so that means Paula and I have been friends for about 12 years.  Paula is Mom to three great kids who are now grown ups.  Her oldest daughter Cigi is an elementary school teacher and is married to a wonderful man who is a police officer.  Her second daughter Cierra just gave birth to Paula's first grand baby, a boy, last month. She and her boyfriend are a fantastic young couple just starting out and looking forward to what the future holds. Her youngest Cory just graduated from high school in June and is deciding what his future will hold.

When our kids were young I always told Paula I wanted to be more like her.  She was a stay at home Mom and always planned awesome outings with her kids.  She was always there for them and created a wonderful environment for her children to grow up in.  I always called her when I needed advice and she was always there to listen to me.  We always joked that when we get together we better count on a couple hours because it is never a quick visit.  Once we get talking she and I can go on for hours and hours.

She called me a couple weeks ago to tell me something had come up that she was a little concerned about. She had been to the Dr. for a procedure and her blood work came back funny.  To make a long story short Paula was diagnosed with Leukemia.  I just couldn't believe it and still can't.  This is the woman that made sure she exercised, watched what she ate, did her routine check ups.  Then BAM, you have Leukemia.

CANCER SUCKS!!!

She will beat this, I have no doubt.  This will be 7 months of hell (that's how long the treatment will take) but she will fight and come out on the other side stronger than ever.  I know this because I know her and nothing will stop her from seeing her grand baby and future grand babies grow up.  Nothing will stop her from having many more happy years with the love of her life and husband of twenty five years.  Nothing will stop her from being there for her friends like me who need her.  NOTHING   not even cancer.

I guess I am writing this down so I can look back one day and say "oh yeah that was the year Paula went through chemo."  "That really sucked, but SHE KICKED CANCER'S BUTT!!!"



No comments: