Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Daughter, Lifeguard on Duty.....


Warning: I am totally going to brag about my daughter in this post, so if you hate braggers don't read on. Consider yourself warned.. LOL



About a month ago Soccer Girl completed a lifeguard training course at our local community pool. Her goal being to get a summer job at this pool. The course was $119.oo which the Englishman and I paid for. I had told her several times "I hope your Dad and I didn't pay for this course for nothing, I really hope you can get a job at the pool" Of course two of her friends were hired before the course had even finished (they had taken the course last year) so I was not so confident that there would be a position left. As it turns out there was not a position available however she did apply with our local county beach department. We didn't expect her to even be called in because she had no (zero, zilch, zippo) experience and she was only 16. Anyone who lives in a coastal community knows that being a beach lifeguard is a huge responsibility. So when they called her to interview and take the SWIM TEST we were shocked. She was a nervous wreck and really intimidated. I told her that no matter what happened it was a great interview experience. The swim test consisted of a 500 meter swim which she had to complete in less than 10 minutes. (She completed it in 9.38) a one mile run which had to be completed in less than 8 minutes (she completed it in 7.11) and a mock rescue. She told me later that as fate would have it the lifeguard supervisor picked the "hottest" lifeguard on duty that day to play the downed swimmer she had to rescue. Well, long story short they hired my girl. I am so proud of her. She is everything I wanted to be as a teenager. She is beautiful, smart, athletic, determined and extremely goal oriented. The best part besides the wonderful experience she is getting is the money she is making. While most of her friends are working in grocery and department stores (not that there is anything wrong with that) making $6 to $7 dollars an hour she is making $11.73 an hour. She is keeping our beautiful beaches (lets hope they stay that way with this oil spill) safe for residents and tourists alike and this Mom couldn't be more proud!!!!!!!!!



P.S Our pet count is back up to 10. Miss Priss talked me into a Beta Fish last night for her room. Welcome to the family Carmelita Fish we think your gonna like it here...

No comments: