Monday, January 12, 2009

Aliens among us......

Yesterday, Mighty Mouth spent the day at her friends house. She had a great time. Apparently, on the news there was a segment about some UFO sightings. I believed they turned out to have something to do with a flare gun. Well, after hearing this the girls decided to go on the Internet and look up things about Aliens. Their website of choice was ASK.com. (the joy of having older sisters who introduce you to the wonders of the Internet) ASK.com is right up there with "you tube" and "Webkins" as some of Mighty Mouth's favorite sites. They then looked up photographs and became fascinated. My friend (her friend's Mom) shared with me that they even went so far as to create a landing strip for Alien Aircraft out of sidewalk chalk in the driveway. And just in case the Aliens got confused they even wrote in the middle "Aliens Land Here" After telling me all this about her exciting alien enlightened day I accidentally devastated her. What you ask could I possibly say that would send her running to her room tears streaming down her face?

I told her that Aliens (at least the ones in those pictures) were not real. Now normally I am not one to inhibit a child's imagination so I must defend my actions. The reason I felt the need to let her in on this fact is that she is the same child who even at the ripe old age of nine finds herself at least once a week on the floor of our room in the middle of the night with pillow and blanket. So to spare her the discomfort of our floor last evening, I thought it only the right thing to do.

WRONG.........

I quickly found myself telling her in hopes of drying those heartbroken tears that "maybe they are real, and Mommy might be wrong" to which she replied "well I hope the picture of the baby alien is real because Mom it is SO CUTE".........

No comments: